Saturday, March 15, 2008

VACATION WORK!

Congratulations on making it to Spring Break!  After we come back it will be a fast drive to the end of the year!  But, if you're behind so far or getting a grade you're not satisfied with, then don't dismay!  You have plenty of time to get back on track and turn things around!  I believe in you so you should too!

Ok, now to recap what you have to complete over vacation.

Period 2.  You're working on Grammar Chapter 2: all exercises but only odd questions.  If you have any questions, and I'm sure you will, please feel free to contact me.  If I can't help you via e-mail or over a blog comment we can either arrange to speak on the phone or meet for coffee so I can give you some extra help.  I don't have a lot to do over vacation so I'm more than happy to help you with any questions you might have.  

You also should continue working on your Commonplace Book and read for at least 30 minutes every day!  Fill out those reading logs.  Remember, most of you read for thirty minutes without realizing it; it could be picking up a magazine, looking up something online, or curling up with your favorite book.  It should be fun and it should interest you, so don't think of it as a chore!

Period 5:  You're working on essay rewrites for The Old Man and the Sea.  Some of you never wrote this essay to begin with so your assignment is to complete your first draft.  I know a lot of you struggled with how to discuss the symbolism.  Don't fret.  Use your critical thinking skills and be sure to explain your reasons completely.  Don't assume the reader knows what you mean; explain everything, and then explain it again!  And use citations.  I expect to see quotations and page numbers listed.  And, if you're citing the Study Guide from the back of the book, then cite that page number and mention that the information came from the study guide.

You should also be reading, working on your Commonplace Book, and studying your grammar and vocabulary.  You will see that grammar test again, so be ready for it!

If I can be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.  What I said for period 2 goes for you as well.  

Take care everyone and enjoy the week off.  Read for pleasure and enjoyment and spend just a few minutes each day on your assignments so they don't stress you out too much.  We will discuss any questions you have as a class when we reconvene on the 24th.

Best,
Mr. Moody

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i feel as if i dont have enough time to do the rewrite becuz i have been very busy. i have worked on it and i dont get some of your comments on my paper.......help!!!!!!!

M. Kyle J. Moody said...

Please send me an e-mail and we can discuss the comments you're confused about. Also, if you tell me a good time to call, I can call you at home and talk the comments through with you.

kjm0083@lausd.net

Anonymous said...

Mr. Moody..

Is the essay rewrite going to be due on Monday?

Anonymous said...

hey mr. moody!
aww mannnnnnnnn!
i didnt know we had to do
reading log and COMMONPLACE BOOK ]:
im going to do both tonight :D
im going to do my essay
tomorrow...........

Ashley Coolio Hansack P.5